The basic difference of animals and plants is the capacity of movement. The flora and fauna are restricted to a location where as animals can move anywhere and this is enabled by the presence of locomotors system comprised of bones, muscles, nerves, blood vessels. This system is in continuous use and has a greater chance of wear and tear leading to the inflammation of joints. This is termed as Arthritis and the aetiology of arthritis list from over use to hereditary factors to bacterial infection. It is estimated that more than 15 % of world population is affected by arthritis of any kind after the age of 40 and the treatment cost is more than 100 billion per year.
The major causes of Arthritis are
- Abnormal metabolism.
- Overactive immune system.
- Decreased range of motion
The goal of treatment of arthritis is to reduce inflammation and pain, improve blood circulation, and prevent articular damage. The treatment of arthritis depends on form of arthritis is present, its location, age, severity, persistence, and any underlying background medical conditions of the patient. There is no general format of management and each treatment program must be customized for the individual patient depending on the signs and symptoms. Line of treatment can incorporate home remedies, nonprescription and prescription medications, and surgical interventions. Weight reduction is good for weight bearing joint arthritis and yoga can be incorporated for improving the joint functions.
5 Natural Remedies
Patients with arthritis may benefit from natural remedies as Arthritis is a chronic disease and ask for long term bowel friendly treatment. Herbal remedies with proven effects are listed below.
- Decoction of Porcupine root, Deodar and dried ginger twice daily for 45 days.
- Decoction of Ricinus and dried ginger for 60 days.
- Local application of milk decoction of Strychnos for 45 minutes for 21 days.
- Bandaging inflamed joint with Murivenna (Ref Pharmacopeia Govt Ayurveda College Pg 174 Ed2002)
- Drink prepared with Vitex negundo leaves and Ricinus roots twice daily for 90 days.
- Bandaging with Nagaradi- manikunthirikkadi churna .
- Bandaging with sesame oil mixed with medicinal camphor.
- Drink water boiled with Asparagus and Aswagandha.
- Decoction prepared with Dasamula ( Ten roots).
- Drink water boiled with Guduchi.
6 Ayurvedic remedies
Ayurveda is an Indian medical science which uses herbs and minerals for treatment and it’s attaining World’s attention with its unique diagnostic tools and treatment practices. Every disease is addressed by Ayurveda on its basic Tridosha theory and this theory explains all physiologic and pathologic metabolism. So this science can face any challenge of any time with its tools and herbs. The chronic disorders like Arthritis requires total correction of the cause and prolonged management, Ayurveda excels with cost effective side effect free herbal therapy. The treatment comprises internal and external medications along with special diet and yoga.
6.1 Internal Medicines.
Please consult a qualified Ayurvedic doctor before taking these medicines.
- Dhanwantharam qwath tablet Two tablets ( 7.5 mg) twice daily before food.
- Sahacharadi qwath tablet Two tablets ( 7.5 mg) twice daily before food.
- Maharasnadi qwath tablet Two tablets ( 7.5 mg) twice daily before food
- Karaskara tailam 10 drops with hot water in early morning.
- Karaskara ghritham 1 teaspoon at bed time
- Shadharanam tablet Two tablets twice daily before food
- Vaiswanara churna 1 teaspoon twice daily.
- Triphala churna 1 teaspoon twice daily.
- Rasnasaptakam tablet Two tablets ( 7.5 mg) twice daily before food
- Prasaranyadi tablet Two tablets ( 7.5 mg) twice daily before food along with hot milk.
- Patented medicines like Rumalaya tablet, Rumalaya forte tablet, Rymanyl Capsule, Arthrella , Arthoyog forte, Sallaki 400, Sallaki 600, Sallaki MR, Sallaki Plus, Nucart OA, Vathapy capsule, Rheumacalm tablet, Ostikot tablet, Rhukot etc can be used as per patient’s condition.
6.2 External medicines.
- Dhanvantharam tailam
- Nagaradi churna
- Kottam Chukkadi churna.
- Kolakulathadi churna.
- Sahacharadi tailam
- MahaNarayana tailam
- Prasaranee tailam
Ayurveda recognizes the importance of ideal diet from the very beginning as it has described Food, Sleep and Sex as the tripods of life. So an ideal diet considering the climate, geography, age, sex is suggested.
- Include fiber and natural food available in local places in the diet.
- Take all fruits and vegetables in the available season.
- Include all type of food- grains, cereals, pulses, leaves, minerals, animal origins in the food.
- Take fresh food.
- Ayurveda advises two session of food per day preferably in the morning and in the evening before sunset.
- Avoid fried, refrigerated and preserved food.
- Take food in a calm environment with loved ones and enjoy all the taste of the food in the order of sweet, salt, sour.
- Drink boiled water with herbs.
- Don’t take shower or sleep immediately after food.
- Take food when you feel the early food is completely digested otherwise go for fasting.
Yoga usually does not aggravate arthritis when performed at levels that do not cause joint pain. Yoga can be helpful in several ways. First, it strengthens the muscular support around the joints. It also prevents the joints from “freezing up” and improves and maintains joint mobility. By stretching the muscles, yoga can provide physical relief of symptoms around the affected joints. Finally, it helps with weight reduction and promotes endurance.
Here is a list of Asanas which will surely compliment the patient to get rid of throbbing arthritic pain.
- Tiriang Mukha Ekapada in Dandasana
- Ardha Galavasana
- Upavistha Konasana
- Baddha Trikonasana
- Ubhaya Padangusthasana
- Adho Mukha Vajrasana
- Padangustha Dhanurasana
- Parivrtta Surya Yantrasana