Ayurvedic Treatment for Adenoids is based on the treatment principle of Shobha ( Inflammation). A mass of soft tissue behind the nasal cavity which plays an important role in the defense mechanism of the body like lymph nodes is known as Adenoids. They are made of tissues similar to lymphoid tissue. The Adenoids present at the time of birth are seen as such during childhood but gradually shrinks during the adolescent period and almost disappear in adulthood. The white blood cells circulating through the adenoids react with the foreign bodies which entered the body through the nose and mouth and thus take part in the immune system of the body.
The adenoids become enlarged and swollen which is a common condition seen in children. The inflammation of adenoids due to bacterial or viral infection is known as adenoiditis.
- Signs and symptoms of Adenoids
- Causes of Adenoids
- Pathophysiology of Adenoids
- Diagnosis of Adenoids
- Treatments of Adenoids
- Prognosis of Adenoids
- Complications of Adenoids
- Adenoids in Ayurveda
- Nidana- Causes of Adenoids
- Samprapthi (Maturation) of Adenoids
- Lakshana of Adenoids
- Prognosis of Adenoids
- Chikitsa (Treatment) of Adenoids
- Commonly used medicines for Adenoids
- Diet desirable to prevent Adenoids
- Research articles link.
Signs and Symptoms
The symptoms of enlarged adenoids or adenoiditis include,
- Swollen neck glands
- Sore throat, runny or stuffy nose
- Nasal speech and breathing through the mouth feel more comfortable.
- Swallowing of food is difficult
- Sleep apnoea and difficulty in sleeping
Bacterial infection: Due to Streptococcus
Viral infection: due to infection of viruses like Epstein-Barr virus, adenovirus, and rhinovirus
Acute adenoiditis occurs due to a viral upper respiratory tract infection and the inflammation and increased production of exudates may occur if Bacterial agents proliferate and infect the adenoids and surrounding tissues. Chronic adenoiditis happens when the infection lasts for more than 90 days and there will be polymicrobial infections and biofilm formation. Exudates are absent in chronic conditions. Chronic inflammation leads to adenoid hypertrophy leading to nasal airway obstruction and obstruction of the Eustachian tubes which in turn leads to other problems such as obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) and otitis media.
Diagnosis of acute adenoiditis can be made based on clinical evaluation of symptoms.
Rapid strep test, Cultures, Allergy testing
In many cases with enlarged adenoids may have no symptoms and so there is no need for treatment. In the case of infection, antibiotics and nasal steroid sprays are used. If the symptoms are so severe, then adenoidectomy (surgical removal of adenoids) is done.
As children grow the adenoid loses significance and it gradually shrinks as age increases.
Enlarged adenoids usually associated with
- Otitis media with effusion
- Glue ear, a middle-ear infection with a chronic fluid build-up that can lead to hearing problems.
- Sleep apnoea, which causes pauses in breathing while sleeping, as well as snoring.
Disease and Ayurveda
The symptoms can be correlated to the condition called Tundikeri explained by Acharya Susruta in Talugata roga (diseases of the palate and associated structures) and Kantagata roga by Acharya Vagbhata. This is swelling with pain and a burning sensation.
The specific nidana is not said in classics, but the etiological factors like cold, snigdha food and regimens, infections, etc. can cause the disease.
Vitiated kapha and raktha doshas cause cystic swelling resembling Vanakaarpasa (cotton). It is associated with burning sensation and pain.
Lakshana Signs and Symptoms
- Swelling in Kanta desa (neck region) with pain and burning sensation.
Can be treated with medicines and in severe cases by Bedana(incision) by Acharya Susruta.
Samana- Drugs that act as those which reduce pain, swelling, etc. can be used as gargling, dhoopana and nasya (nasal instillation).
Surgical management is said by Susruta and he says it as bedana (Incision) saadhya roga.
Sodhana: Vamana (emesis) and Nasya (nasal installation) can be done considering the disease status.
Commonly used medicines
- Dasamulakaduthryam Kashayam
- Vyaghriyadi Kashayam
- Chiruvilwadi Kashayam
- Sooryaprabha Gulika
- Chukkumthippalyadi Gulika
- Thippali Rasayana
- Hinguvachadi Gulika
- Guggulupanchapala Churna
- Yavaksharadi vati
- Gandoosha (gargling) of Triphala choorna with honey
- Kanchanara guggulu
- Pratisaarana with Tankana and honey (Rubbing)
- Aryavaidya saala, Kottakkal
- Vaidyaratnam Oushadhasala
- SNA Oushadhasala
- Kerala Ayurveda
- AVP Coimbatore
Avoid coil breeze and cold climate.
Cumin water or water boiled with dried ginger or turmeric.
- Should include cooked vegetables, warm foods, and beverages, black pepper, turmeric, ginger, cumin, and coriander in the diet.
- Avoid cold foods, ice creams, yogurt, milk products, oily food, etc.
- Paschimottanasana is one of the desirable yoga postures in Adenoids.
- Anulom viloma pranayama
Research articles link.